Tuesday, October 20
       

India And China Border Standoff Conflict In Galwan Valley

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Tensions are running high between India and China, after at least 20 soldiers were killed in a decades-long border dispute over an area in the Galwan Valley earlier this week.

According to the Indian Express, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh reviewed the border situation with China in eastern Ladakh at a meeting with the top military brass on Sunday. The meeting, ahead of Singh’s visit to Russia to attend a grand military parade in Moscow, was attended by Chief of Defense Staff Gen Bipin Rawat, Army Chief Gen MM Naravane, Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh and Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria.

 

The mood on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) continues to remain tense after the death of 20 Indian soldiers in a violent clash with Chinese troops in the Galwan Valley on the night of June 15. So tense is the situation that there is a possibility it could deteriorate rapidly should there be another face-off anytime soon. Meanwhile, discussions are underway between both sides to have another round of military and diplomatic talks next week. Even as Air Chief Marshal R K S Bhadauria on Saturday said the IAF is “well prepared and suitably deployed” to deal with any eventuality arising out of the Galwan standoff, analysts told The Indian Express that although IAF enjoys a geographical advantage over air power, any decision on its use will have to be taken after careful consideration by the government.

With questions being raised about Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s remarks Friday that neither has anyone intruded into Indian territory nor has anyone captured any military post, the government made it clear Saturday that his remarks pertained to the situation in Galwan Valley after the violent clashes on the night of June 15.

In the worst flare-up on the LAC in more than five decades, 20 Indian Army personnel, including the Commanding Officer of 16 Bihar, were killed in the Galwan Valley where disengagement of troops on either side was underway. It was the first time in the last 45 years that Indian or Chinese troops have been killed on the LAC.

Source: Indian Express

Share.