Indonesia Street Food – Jakarta
Here’s a fun, easy to prepare and delicious Indonesian coconut omelet from
Grated Coconut Omelet
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of grated coconut
- oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onions
- juice of 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of sambal ulek or 1 red chili pepper
- Grind the chopped onions with the coconut, the sambal, and the garlic juice into a paste.
- Beat the eggs with salt and pepper and mix in the grated coconut.
- Fry an omelet in the hot oil; cover the pan while baking.
- Bake the omelet on both sides until done.
Grind 1 chili pepper or 1 sambal ulek. Add the grind chili pepper, chopped onions, crushed garlic, pinch of salt and black pepper together in a grinding bowl, preferably a stone mortar.
Begin crushing and grinding all the ingredients together but not too fine, so the onion can still retain the crunch texture
Once all the ingredients seem to mixed thoroughly, add the grated coconut and mixed
Next, start beating the eggs
Combined all the minced ingredients into the eggs
Heat a non-stick pan and add two teaspoons of vegetable oil
Once the oil is heated, add in the eggs omelet mixtures
Put a lid on the pan
After a few minutes, check your omelet
For crispy texture, fried both sides of the omelet